Upcoming Herbal Education Events & Workshops!
- Song of the Spirit with B. Anderson on September 25, 2019 6:30 pm
- Plant Walk with earth seed holistic on September 28, 2019 2:00 pm
- Song of the Spirit with B. Anderson on October 2, 2019 6:30 pm
- Song of the Spirit with B. Anderson on October 9, 2019 6:30 pm
- Roots -n-Seeds: Foundations in Herbal Medicine Making with Avi-Rose on October 16, 2019 6:30 pm
- Roots -n-Seeds: Foundations in Herbal Medicine Making with Avi-Rose on October 23, 2019 6:30 pm
- Herbal Workshop with Laura Ruocco on October 26, 2019 2:00 pm
- Roots -n-Seeds: Foundations in Herbal Medicine Making with Avi-Rose on October 30, 2019 6:30 pm
Herbal Education Series & Courses
Next 8-week course begins October 16th, 2019!
Accepting applications September 22nd, 2019
Roots -n- Seeds:
Foundations in Herbal Medicine Making
Our 8-week hybrid in-person/online course is a dynamic, hands-on & empowering space that supports herbal learners in how we learn to relate to plants, healing, caring for ourselves & the earth in ways that center justice, sustainability, and relationship. You will learn what tradition & science can tell us about selected herbal allies, and more importantly, how to use your senses and trust your experience to learn from the plants themselves! The class offers fundamental teachings on energetics, medicine making, synergy, herbal safety, and how to find reliable herbal information online. You will build your own home apothecary that includes vitality balls, herbal tooth powders, honeys, syrups, bath salts, fire cider, alcohol & glycerin tinctures, salves, lotion, liniments, shrubs & cordials!
Course participants are welcome to join our very own in-house herbal geek squad: The Rootlets, for ongoing education, volunteering in our apothecary, solidarity medicine making for communities in need, and delicious herbal community!
Check out our schedule & please complete an application
Participants will be notified of participation by September 25th.
Materials Fees must be paid by Oct 2nd or seats will be offered to other applicants.
10/16 The Seeds of Herbal Learning: Orientation & Making Herbal Teas
10/23 Understanding Energetics & Making Folk Medicine with Herbal Vinegars
10/30 The Science & Intuition of Flavors & Making Herbal Infused Oils
11/6 Herbal Safety & Making Soaks, Compresses, & Liniments
11/13 Making Friends with Math & Making Tinctures/Cordials
11/20 Understanding Synergy & Making Medicated Syrups/Herbal Honeys
- 11/27 NO CLASS - National Day of Mourning Observed
12/4 Going Deeper with Ethics in Herbalism & Making Salves & Lotions
12/11 Rooted & Rising: Support for Ongoing Learning & Making Medicine with Herbal Powders
Two full scholarships are available, and two partial scholarships are available. An additional materials fee of $120 is due as the deposit. This fee is non-refundable
Justice Pricing offerings are a form of a sliding scale that attempt to create sustainability & access simultaneously. The high end represents the true cost/value of the offering, while the lower end represents a commitment to creating space for those who wouldn't be able to attend at the full cost. To determine your rate please click here (Note: this sliding scale model differs from Third Root's general sliding scale chart).
Our Course will conclude with a Medicine Making Show on December 18, 2019!
Tell friends and family to save the date to come and sample your creations & be able to purchase some of what Avi-Rose will make along side you all! All proceeds go to supporting the growth of the apothecary & future scholarships for herbal ed students!
Materials Fee includes:
- $30 Covers all the various sized Jars, Bottles, Tins, and labels that will be utilized for your makings both in class and at home each week.
- $30 Covers beeswax, alcohol, apple cider vinegar, glycerin, and other medicine making menstruum/mixing materials
- $30 Covers 30+ herbs to be provided for both in class and at home medicine making in between each week!
- $30 Covers Course Binders filled with templates, Readings on core topics, Medicine Making Guides & Plant Monographs
- Participants will have to supply and source several additional materials used, from common kitchen items to added fruits, spices, and an optional bottle of wine or brandy
Developed & Taught By
Avi-Rose, MS, E-RYT 200, is a jewish and queer community-based clinician, educator, medicine maker & researcher, and project coordinator. Their roots & realities include a tangle of working-class lessons, artistic lineage, inter-generational trauma, white-skin privilege, and immeasurable resilience and laughter. Rising from and growing within these contexts, Avi-Rose dedicates their movements in the world to cultivating practices of justice, awareness, and joy!
The seeds of respect for learning about & from plant allies were first planted here at Third Root back in 2009: Countless seasons, teachers, classroom & land-based lessons later, Avi-Rose has woven a vitalist herbal approach with yoga, food-based healing, meditation, and an anti-oppression framework to support individual & collective healing. Above all, they value co-creating accessible & generative space to support others in accessing their own insights & relationships to their bodies, the earth, and what is possible.
With Guest Teacher
sára abdullah is an indigenous SWANA/Pinay non-binary femme Muslima descended from nomadic dreamweavers, kitchen witches, tricksters, and storytellers. She honors those who came before and those who gather with her in circle through a life's work in plant medicine, healing, pleasure activism, magic, writing, and nurturing the creative spirit in herself and others. As a poet, storyteller, cultural organizer, and healing artist, she is committed to uplifting radical tenderness, (re)membering embodied knowledge, and building collective liberation. She is the creator of earth seed holistic, a healing practice and consultancy that provides botanical offerings, herbal consultations, creativity coaching, energy work, full-spectrum doula companionship, and workshops centered in plant medicine and nurturing the creative spirit.
Held 3x annually in partnership with Third Root