Herbal Education Workshops, Series & Courses
Registration is limited to 8 participants. Please call or come in to register.
*Plus materials fee, see below for details
Sliding-Scale offerings are a form a justice pricing that attempt to create sustainability & access simultaneously. The high end represents the true cost/value of the offering, while the lower end represents a commitment to creating space for those who wouldn't be able to attend at the full cost. To determine your rate please click here (Note: this sliding scale model differs from Third Root's general sliding scale chart).
Deposit of $100 due Sept 10, 2018. Balance due on Sept 17, 2018. If a payment plan is necessary for your participation, please let us know.Please note: the course will be offered again in the spring, but enroll quickly to ensure a spot!
Join us this fall as we roll up our sleeves, open our hearts, and engage our smarts for hands on medicine making learning!
At the end of the 9 weeks, you will have made many herbal medicines including: Decoctions, Infusions, Syrups, Herbal Honey, & Lozenges, Infused Oils, Alcohol & Glycerine based Tinctures, Mineral Vinegars & Fire Cider, Compresses, Herbal Soaks, Liniments, Herbal Tooth Powder, Herbal Vitality Bites & Foods, Salves & Creams, Shrubs & Cordials!
In addition to our time together Monday nights, you will have the option to participate in an online forum with your peers to discuss your at home makings & reflect on the readings & videos provided to reinforce your growing skills and passions. This course will offer a fun & supportive space to build skills to last a lifetime!
- 9/17 Class Foundations & Brewing Teas: Infusions & Decotions
- 9/24 Herbal Vinegar: Making a Mineral Vinegar/Fire Cider Folk Method
- 10/1 Herbal Oils: Making Infused Oils a variety of methods
- 10/8 Herbal Syrups: Making Syrups & Lozenges/Gummies & Herbal Honeys
- 10/15 Tinctures: Making Alcohol and Glycerine Tinctures using the scientific Method
- 10/22 SmoothTopicals: Making Salves & Creams and Lotions
- 10/29 Topical Preparations: Making Soaks, Compresses, & Liniments
- 11/5 Herbal Powders: Making Herbal Tooth Powder, Vitality Balls, and Cooking with Herbs
- 11/12 Herbal Delights & Closing Potluck: Making Cordials, Elixirs & Shrubs
Our Course will conclude with a Medicine Making Show on Saturday November 17th. 5-8pm!
Tell friends and family to save the date to come and sample your creations & be able to purchase some of what Avi-Rose will make along side you all! All proceeds go to supporting the growth of the apothecary & future scholarships for herbal ed students!
BYHA Medicine Making Kits $75 Flat Rate:
- $20 Covers all the various sized Jars, Bottles, and Tins that will be utilized for your makings both in class and at home each week.
- $20 Covers beeswax, alcohol, apple cider vinegar, glycerine, and other medicine making menstruum/mixing materials
- $25 Covers 30+ herbs to be provided for both in class and at home medicine making in between each week!
- $10 Covers Labels & Medicine Making Journals & Plant Monographs provided to all participants
- Participants will have to supply and source several additional materials used, from common kitchen items to added fruits, spices, and an optional bottle of wine or brandy 🙂
1 Drop-in space each week is reserved for previous Third Root Herbal Ed students wishing to brush up on any specific medicine making skills.
Drop In Cost: $20-$50 Sliding Scale (Materials Provided)
Avi-Rose, MS, E-RYT 200, is a queer community-based educator, multi-modal health & wellbeing clinician, herbal researcher, and project coordinator. Their roots & realities include a tangle of working class lessons, artistic lineage, inter-generational trauma, white-skin privilege, and immeasurable resilience and laughter. Rising from and growing within these contexts, Avi-Rose dedicates their efforts to cultivating justice & joy in all they do. The seeds of respect for learning with & from plants were first planted here at Third Root in 2009: Countless seasons, mentors, classroom & earth based lessons later, Avi-Rose has woven a vitalist herbal framework with multiple modalities and an anti-oppression approach in their work of supporting individual & collective healing. As an educator and clinician, they value creating accessible & generative space to both offer knowledge and support others in accessing their own insights & relationships with political analysis, their bodies, and the earth. You can learn more about their work and offerings at www.avi-rose.com
Rhythms of Resilience & Resistance Seasonal Workshops: Learning from the Earth to Shore Up so We Can Show Up!
Reflection * Discussion * Ritual * Movement * Medicine Making
$40-$100 No One Turned Away for Lack of Funds
Whether this season finds you feeling stuck & stagnant or solid & seeking to sustain that, we invite you to join us in tapping into seasonal changes as an opportunity to reflect on personal and seasonal rhythms as a way to bolster your intentions to show up for yourself and our world.
Being resilient looks a lot of different ways, & harm-reduction strategies are where it’s at (!) as is anything that helps us connect to ourselves & the world at large when our nervous systems may be telling us that avoidance & hiding are the only way out. We believe the only way out is through: through listening, through attuning, and through showing up for the brave and continuous work of collective liberation.
Living in harmony with the seasons helps heal disconnection from our natural world and is a form of deep listening that can offer a pathway to the practice of being in our world as awake and actualized beings capable of staying present for the resistance that's needed! Through learning about the rhythms & energetics of each season, we will explore foods, herbs, movements, breathwork, heart-work, and practical coping strategies to align with the seasons and Shore Up so We Can Show Up! !
Upcoming Herbal Education Events & Workshops!
- Build Your Home Apothecary with Avi-Rose on September 24, 2018 6:00 pm
- Rhythms of Resilience & Resistance Presents: Autumnal Allies with Avi-Rose & Laura Ruocco on September 29, 2018 2:30 pm
- Build Your Home Apothecary with Avi-Rose on October 1, 2018 6:00 pm
- Build Your Home Apothecary with Avi-Rose on October 8, 2018 6:00 pm
- Build Your Home Apothecary with Avi-Rose on October 15, 2018 6:00 pm
- Build Your Home Apothecary with Avi-Rose on October 22, 2018 6:00 pm
- Herbal Education Workshop with Avi-Rose & guest teacher on October 27, 2018 2:00 pm
- Build Your Home Apothecary with Avi-Rose on October 29, 2018 6:00 pm